C/ del Carme, 21
25400 Les Borges Blanques
Tel. 973 14 28 50
Fax 973 14 31 70
Capital of the area and with 6,000 inhabitants, it is situated between the central plain of the Catalan depression and the first precoastal foothills. The town is 334 m above sea level and its land area is 61.90 sq km, 16% of which is irrigated area and 84% of which is dry land.
A few of its interesting sites are Plaça de la Constitució (square) and some magnificent houses with Renaissance features.
Current Església Parroquial de l'Assumpció (parish church) is a Neoclassical temple with an outstanding belfry.
In this town there is a small Baroque chapel from 1743.
One of the most beautiful sites in Les Borges Blanques is Passeig del Terrall (avenue), in the heart of the town, where there are two ponds with swans, ducks and geese as well as a large garden with a range of plants and trees. The enclosure is also provided with an old oil press (17th century) together with a monolith in honour of the peasant of Les Garrigues, a monument to Sardana (national Catalan dance), a memorial to the victims in Mauthausen and another one to Francesc Macià.
Ermita de Sant Salvador (hermitage), situated 3.4 km from Les Borges on the way to Cervià, is a humble building from the Romanesque to Gothic transition period, with only one nave which finishes with a rectangular upper end. Inside there are two frescoes, one of which is dedicated to the peasants from Les Garrigues.
2 km away we find Font Vella (spring), by Ermita de Sant Cristòfol (hermitage), surrounded by trees. It has a picnic area for visitors and another one for camping.
We can also highlight the nearby Roques Guàrdies deposit and rock shelter (closely connected with Cova dels Moros (cave) in Cogul and Cova de la Vall Major (cave) in Albi).