Within the area of the village there is an ancient settlement of Les Besses. It was established in 1225 by means of a Village Charter granted by Arnau Punyet and his wife, and in 1265 they got a licence for building a parish church. The village is situated on the right bank of the River Set, downstream of Cervià de les Garrigues. There are ruins of the old feudal castle of Les Besses on top of a rock and remnants of the ancient village houses.
The church of Santa Maria de Les Besses was restored in 1973. It is an interesting Romanesque-to-Gothic transition building, with a rectangular plan, pointed arches, corbels and a door with a keystone to the north.