With 958 inhabitants and a land area of 65 sq km, they mainly grow almond trees and olive trees in the dry fields and fruit trees in the irrigated ones.
It preserves the ruins of Castell de Codines (castle). In 1033 the castle of this village is mentioned in the Liber feudorum maior by the name of Castrum Assinos, from which the current name of Castelldans comes.
The floor of one of the inner areas of the old castle was found few years ago. This castle, whose actual remains are only its setting at the top of a hill without any vegetation and part of its foundations, was an important setting in Roman times and a first-rate stronghold in the Christian conquest.
Inside Església de la Mare de Déu de l’Assumpció (church), with a Neoclassical façade and a square belfry, there is still a 15th-century polychromatic-stone image of the Mother of God with the child, which had formerly crowned an old Gothic altarpiece with scenes of Mary’s life.
At the access to the rectory you can see the coat of arms of the Carthusian monks of Scala Dei, from whom there are still some traces in former Carrer dels Frares (street), where the façades of some houses show their building date from the first half of the 17th century. On the other side of the street you can still find the arches which are the remains of the old Carthusian monastic cellar.
In 1954 the young people in Acció Catòlica of Castelldans together with the priest and the help of the whole village started the construction of a hermitage dedicated to Our Lady of Montserrat in order to commemorate the Marian year.
On the land around it they planted pine trees and put tables and barbecues so that the visitors to the place would find a suitable place for lunch or picnic.
Between Melons and Bessons there is an area of great natural interest (15.05 km2). Castelldans has more than 3,000 hunting hectares.
The village is provided with open-air municipal swimming pools.