With 499 inhabitants, its most important activity is agriculture followed by the stone industry; it also has a hunting game preserve.
In 1151 Ramon Berenguer IV granted the Carta Pobla to this village.
In the village we find Església de Sant Joan Baptista (church), built in 1301, which is Romanesque in style but with strong Cistercian influences.
It is a single-naved church with a rectangular plan and a curved apse, covered with a pointed vault, strengthened by supporting arches without outside buttresses and without any decoration at all. It still preserves some Romanesque paintings, which date back to the time when the church was built. It is worth mentioning that on 13th June 1980 the church of Vinaixa was declared historic-artistic monument by Spain’s Ministerio de Cultura.
The Castle of Vinaixa, also called Cal Tarragó, situated in Calvari Street, in front of Plaça del Mil.lenari (square), is an old Arabian palace (8th-century) with castle honours, from which the current village of Vinaixa takes its name. Nowadays it is privately owned.
Nowadays Casa de Poblet, a property which formerly belonged to the chaplains of Poblet, preserves Abat Copons seal on the archway, and also known as “Cal Panxa”, is privately owned.
In the country district known as Sant Bonifaci, 7 kilometres from the village, there is Ermita de Sant Bonifaci (hermitage), that is, Saint Boniface, a saint Vinaixa has had a strong devotion to for a long time. Although the hermitage is thought to have already been built in the 15th century, it did not have the relic of the saint until 13th May 1682.